Van Gogh Studio Review
It’s nice owning a home or even having your own apartment, but decorating it can be a headache. What do you do with the walls? A lot of people do nothing, but a piece of artwork, such as an oil painting, on your walls can add a splash of color.
An oil painting can also provide a good conversation starter when you have company, especially if that painting is one that’s recognizable to your guests.
But famous oil paintings can cost a fortune, right? That’s where Van Gogh Studio can help you.
Van Gogh Studio sells reproductions of famous paintings by Vincent Van Gogh, a Dutch painter who is so famous that practically everyone recognizes his work, and even the names of some of his paintings are known to people who aren’t overly familiar with fine art.
Where Van Gogh’s original paintings have literally sold for more than $100 million, you can buy a reproduction from Van Gogh Studio for a fraction of the price – as low as a few hundred dollars.
Click here to visit Van Gogh Studio (new window)
Read on for the full Van Gogh Studio review.
Van Gogh Studio Overview
I know what you’re thinking – “Reproduction Van Gogh paintings? Isn’t that illegal?”
No, actually, it is not. Van Gogh Studio is based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and there, such works are no longer under copyright if the works are more than 70 years old. Vincent Van Gogh (1853-1890) has been gone much longer than that, making it legal to sell reproductions of his works.
It’s also worth noting that Van Gogh Studio makes it clear that you are buying a reproduction, and not a Van Gogh original. That would be illegal.
It’s possible to buy lithographs or reprints of all kinds of famous works of art, but that is not what Van Gogh Studio is all about. These are genuine, oil on canvas paintings, painstakingly painted by hand by artists who have spent years or even decades studying the work of Van Gogh in order to master his style right down to the finest detail.
Van Gogh Studio maintains a stock of some 50 different paintings by the great artist, and they are all available in multiple sizes. To order, just pick a painting from their sizable collection, choose a size, and press the order button.
These paintings are created, by hand, by the staff at the Studio. Many of them have devoted years of their lives studying the work of Van Gogh in order to capture the brush strokes, the use of color and the nuance that made his paintings special.
Van Gogh Studio Features
- Quality – Van Gogh Studio offers paintings of exceptional quality, as the many reviews on the site will make clear. Each of the paintings has its own page, and on that page is a “review” tab where you can see reviews from people who have previously purchased that painting.
- Selection – Van Gogh Studio offers more than 50 different paintings from Vincent Van Gogh, but in his short career, he painted nearly 900. Don’t see the particular title you want? The studio can arrange to paint it for you. Delivery time is typically about seven weeks.While each of the paintings is typically offered in a choice of two sizes, you can actually get one in any size you want. If you don’t see a size that suits you, just contact the Studio and they will provide you with a quote for the painting you want in the size you’d like to have.Paintings in the store can be browsed by “Collection,” which just lets you browse through all of them, “Stock,” which shows you only the titles that they have in stock right now, and “Genre,” which allows you to browse paintings from within the eleven different categories of subject (Self-portraits, sunflowers, starry nights, irises, blossoms, etc.)
- Shipping – Every painting at Van Gogh Studio is available for shipping worldwide, and the shipping is free. The paintings are shipped rolled; you just need to take them down to your local frame shop to have them framed.
- Guarantee – Van Gogh Studio guarantees that you’ll be happy with your purchase. If not, just contact them within 10 days of your purchase and they will arrange for you to receive a refund.
- Site Security – The store’s Website is fully secure (https:) so you won’t have to worry about your financial information being compromised.
- Easy payments – Van Gogh Studio accepts Visa and Mastercard, as well as PayPal, for payment.
While the 50 or so paintings that are offered in the main part of the store are very good indeed, Van Gogh Studio has a special section of the store for buyers who want something more and something that’s virtually indistinguishable from the real thing.
For that, there is their Premium Collection, and the story of this particular collection is quite a fascinating one:
Geert Jan Jansen provides paintings for Van Gogh Studio, and he is an artist who was previously was best known as a forger of paintings by Van Gogh and Picasso. His paintings were very good and many of them hung on walls of museums and the homes of the wealthy because people genuinely believed they were the real thing.
Mr. Jansen was captured in 1994 and repaid his debt to society. He has “gone straight,” as they say, and is again painting Van Gogh works that are correctly offered for sale as perhaps the finest quality oil on canvas reproductions of Van Gogh’s works available. The Van Gogh Studio Premium Collection consists of a handful of paintings by Geert Jan Jansen himself.
Unlike the other paintings in the Van Gogh Studio store, the Premium Collection paintings are available in only one size, and are sold already framed. When I visited the site, there were six different paintings available in the Premium Collection.
Van Gogh Studio Pricing
For hand painted, oil on canvas work that is of a high quality, the paintings at Van Gogh Studio are quite affordably priced. Most of them are priced at about €495 or so, which is about $600 in U.S. dollars. For that price, you will receive a painting of approximately 37″x29″, though the sizing varies depending on the title. For a larger size, which might measure about 50″x40″, you will pay roughly €170 ($200) more.
The paintings in the Premium Collection that are hand painted by Geert Jan Jansen are more, of course, ranging in price from €8000 to €13,000 ($9400 to $15,340). Those paintings do come framed, and all paintings include free shipping.
Van Gogh Studio Summary
I must admit that I had no idea that a business such as Van Gogh Studio even existed. Like many people, I have long admired fine art, and have a fondness for Van Gogh’s work, just like millions of other people do. It’s nice to know that for a relatively moderate sum of money, you can own a hand painted, high quality reproduction of one of the world’s most famous paintings.
You’ll be able to touch it, feel the brush strokes, and even smell the paint itself. If you’re looking for a beautiful, eye-catching way to decorate your home and a guaranteed way to start a conversation when you have company, you should pay a visit to Van Gogh Studio.
A little more information here: